vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2003 VW Passat W8. I am having an issue with my low

Customer Question

I have a 2003 VW Passat W8. I am having an issue with my low beam headlights. When I turn them on, they light up for a split second, then turn off. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Also, when they do come on, the driver's side is much "dimmer" than the passenger side. The low beam bulbs are HIDs.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the headlights.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: Or the bulbs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

on your hid issue first is to check the wire insulation of the ballast . the 2 pin connector that insulation tends to crack and then corrode the wire. that corrosion will hamper the operation . you may have also a ballast and/or bulb due to one being dim to the other. that needs to be rectified first before continuing on . have you check that ? please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Wolfgang,
I will try to look at the insulation when I get home. Both headlights have come on at some point while I tinker with them, but I cannot turn them on on a regular basis. Also, when I turn on the lights right when the car is turned on, both lights flash for a split second, then go off. I have checked the fuses for both low beams and they are good. I'm also having a problem with both front blinkers (they do not work at all), but I have not replaced the bulbs on those.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

need to check the wire insulation that is a tell tale sign!!