Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Tech
Experience:  30 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

I have a 2000 VW Jetta 2.0 AT. When the car is shifting into

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW Jetta 2.0 AT. When the car is shifting into 4th gear it seems to slip for a approximately 1 second and then hard shifts into 4th. It does this every time. There have been no fluctuations in this behavior since it started a few days ago and I have driven it probably 100 miles since then. I am by no means a professional mechanic but I know my way around a vehicle for the most part. My question is what would be failing in my transmission that would cause this? Valve body? Solenoids? Clutch packs?
Thanks!
Category: VW
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 months ago.

Low pressure to the 4th gear servo will cause this. Usually its because of a small piece of crud restricting fluid flow and replacing the fluid and filter takes care of it. Happens a lot after 50K miles between fluid changes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you're saying a transmission flush is likely to solve this issue?

Yup...whenever any small contaminates enter the line pressure path they always seem to go right to the small orifices in the reverse servo. We solved many cases like yours with a simple flush...

LJ

My goal is that you are pleased with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit.

You can still ask me questions for free after you rate me so far :-)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. Im gonna give that a shot tomorrow and I'll let you know if that solves this issue.
Thanks

Sounds good.

Please use the rating page so i receive credit for working with you.'

Thanks!

Larry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Larry,
Was wondering if there is a difference between a transmission flush done professionally and me just draining the fluid, pulling the pan, replacing the filter and gasket and refilling. Meaning if I go to somewhere like valvoline will they just be doing what I would do or do they have some kind of machine that more thoroughly flushes out the transmission?
Thanks!

Hi, sorry for the delay.

A flush removes much more fluid than just pulling the pan and draining whats in the pan, so it does a better job in that area. However it does NOT replace the filter when doing a power flush and it is important to do that.

I would recommend you to drop the pan and replace the filter and just fill it up with new fluid to start with and if it still has problems then have the system power flushed in cas there is something blocking fulid flow like we discussed earlier.

Best wishes my friend!

Larry

did you have any further questions?

If not please rate my service, if you do, please just reply.

Thanks!

LJ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Larry. I'll rate you after I change the transmission fluid and filter. This will be within the next couple days.
Thanks

Thank you.

Have a nice day!