vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

K oh woops. im just having an issue with getting my car to

Customer Question

k oh woops. im just having an issue with getting my car to start i replaced the coolant temperature sensor yesterday and it ran fine and today it won't start again stupid jettas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: EPC light is on. doesn't start when disconnecting the MAF. MIL on with the code P0118. makes a weird noise when i try to start it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

What year is your Jetta? What engine? When you say it "makes a weird noise" what do you mean? Is it turning over at normal speed, faster than usual, slower than usual?

What scan tool do you have, do you have the ability to look at any data blocks?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have a 2004 jetta. 2.0L engine. it sounds like it'll start then it just makes a strange almost squeaking type noise.
and i just have a pocket one. the only thing i can do is see codes and erase them. and the only code it gives me is P0118

OK. How many miles do you have on this vehicle? And have you checked the timing belt?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
140,000. and the timing belt has been replaced within the past year not sure exactly when but i know that was done recently

OK, good. I see a lot of 2.0s with just about 100k on their belt, and it strips all the teeth off.

You say it sounds like it will start- I assume you mean it sounds like it has good compression, maybe making a sound like it is firing. With the ECT fault coming back, I wonder if it isn't reverting to the default failure temperature, which is -40C, which will make it extremely rich, even to the point of flooding the intake.

I would try starting, but with the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Keep cranking for 20-30 seconds and see if it tries to start. Holding the pedal to the floor will open the throttle fully, and actually shut down the fuel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it sounds like it cranks but doesnt turn over i guess is a better way to put it. if i flooded the intake what would happen. also how would i go about doing that because i have a manual transmission

set your parking brake, use both feet on the pedals.