Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a problem with my healights on my 01 jetta gl. When

Customer Question

I have a problem with my healights on my 01 jetta gl. When running daytime and regular night lighting my passenger light stays off... when i turn on brights both turn on but light intensity doesnt change. Any clue as to why?
Category: VW
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Most likely, the issues you describe are being caused by a bad ground connection. Starting with the headlight you previously repaired, check that the Brown wires in the harness have a good connection to ground (close to 0 Ohms resistance or less than 0.1 volts drop). Another possible place that's commmon for these vehicles to loose body ground is under the battery tray (see Gnd. 12 in attached graphic).

Please let me know if the information I've provided helps you solve your issue or if further assistance is needed.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I apologize for the dlay in my answer, im currently in a school that requires alot of my time. I checked the grounds you suggested, they are all tight, and clean. I replaced the fuses as well, but the problem remains. I dont have a voltage meter available to me at this time to check the housing connection though. What do you suggest as the next step?

Well, that's the thing; you need a multimeter to test electrical circuits, visual inspections alone are just not enough. I'll opt out and re-open your request to the field so others may chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will revert your request back to me.

Best Regards.