Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I purchased a new keyfob 2010 VW Jetta. I attempted to

Customer Question

I purchased a new keyfob for my 2010 VW Jetta. I attempted to program the new fob with the old fob. Apparently I flip the switch somewhere and now both keyfobs are not recognized by the immobilizer and the vehicle will not stay running. What can I do to get the vehicle started?
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

try synchronising the key fob as follows:

press the unlock button once

manually lock the car with the key

within 60 seconds unlock the car with key

if that doesn't work then try resetting the car by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will both keys need to be recoded and programmed at a VE dealer?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

if the 1st 2 things don't work then sorry to say yes the car will need to go to the dealer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I have the 4-digit OEM PIN code would I be able to program the jets without the dealer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I meant the *keys. In order to code them to the car immobilizer.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Sorry but no

the dealer will need the car and the keys all together to do the coding

it might be worth calling them to ask but I'm about 90% sure that they will need the car

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you