vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2005 vw beetle. I am now having a problem starting

Customer Question

I have a 2005 vw beetle. I am now having a problem starting the car. The car has a couple of times stopped running while driving. At times turning the key nothing happens no dashboard lights, nothing. Other times the dashboard lights come on and the car makes a machine gun noise. I took the battery out and had it tested and it tested good. When I put the battery back in the car it started normal. It ran perfect for 2 days. Then it wouldn't start again. I thought if removing the battery and then reinstalling it seemed to solve the problem I then detached the battery cables and left them off for 5 minutes and then reattached them and the car started. It appears as if the car's computer needs to be rebooted. Is this a possible computer problem?
Roger Gillis
***@******.***
(###) ###-####
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

I would start out having the faults read- at least the engine faults, you can get read for FREE at Autozone or other large chain parts stores. This will let us know if there is an internal fault with the module, as most of the time the ECM does not go bad.