eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified tech
6149662

My 2005 VW Passat was stuck in the snow I was trying to dig

Customer Question

My 2005 VW Passat was stuck in the snow I was trying to dig my way out and was turning and turning the wheel and it just turned off, won't turn back on but all electrical components seem to work.
Category: VW
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

does it click or anything?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does click, just doesn't finish starting
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

does it crank over?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do you mean?
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

does the starter engage and turn the motor over in a attempt to start

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

does it have gas?

Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

how many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has gas, and it has 150,000
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

is the timing belt original?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no reason to suspect otherwise
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

are you the original owner?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I am not
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

how many miles were on it when you purchased? are you mechanically inclined?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can figure things out. 140000
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing. I would start with a compression check or a peak at the timing belt

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you