SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

Van Muschler
, I have a 2003 Jett, 2.0. Engine light

Customer Question

Customer: Van Muschler
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2003 Jett, 2.0. Engine light came and would not pass state emissions(IL). I replaced catalytic converter, both o2 sensors. Light will not stay off. Took to garage, they say it is still reading cat. recommend replace cat again with better, VW approved. Around $900.00. They stated that VWs are very particular. What are my options? The car has 166,000 miles, its my sons car, just a college car.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

first do you know what the code was originally?

what was the quality of the catalytic converter you installed?

was it way cheaper than the VW converter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code is P0420. The garage says that the o2 sensors are not showning. Is it possible that I just bought a cheap catalityc converter? what brand does Volkswagon use?

Hello, sorry was snowed in and couldn't get to my computer until today.

yes it is very possible the quality of the converter is causing your issue to not be resolved.

I don't know the specific brand that they use but yes VW are very particular about the specs that they use.

The parameters used by after market converter just don't have the narrow window that vw usues to monitor the cat performance.

one option is to try a better quality converter or bite the bullet and replace with the original vw replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will probably try a better cat. It does not make sense to pay ($1500) the 300% markup on parts plus the labor for a 30 minute job. Again the car isn't worth that much. Someone has to know what brand VW uses. Can you recommend a good brand?

not sure what area you are in but try a company call called WorldPac, they have good brands for foreign vehicles