vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2003 VW Jetta turbo--Vehicle will not crank if ambient temp

Customer Question

2003 VW Jetta turbo--Vehicle will not crank if ambient temp below 40 deg. F. Have replaced battery, starter, and clutch safety switch--Help?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

does the starter relay click when it wont start?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No--nothing
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

ok on your vehicle need to trace this from the starter back. when it acts up you will need a volt meter and a second person to see if you getting battery voltage on crank position on the key on the small wire on the starter . air cleaner may need to be removed to gain access to the starter terminal.

please let me know on the voltage part . if you do not have voltage then i will need a vin # ***** get the factory wiring diagram to go further and may have to have additional services of a phone call to trace this out!!