Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 manual transmission

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 2005 manual transmission Jetta in which the key will not go into the ignition
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It worked fine yesterday. I have two keys and neither will go in. I can gat it in a tiny bit and the radio comes on for a second then stops. I have tried using the key fob to lock and unlock the doors but nothing seems to work.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting several hours for a email to reset my password. Still nothing. Do you have any answers for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

this sounds like the ignition barrel is stuck, they can bind up on the steering lock

so I'd suggest squirting some penetrating oil such as WD40 into the lock and then put the key in halfway and run more oil down the key and leave it to soak for 20 mins or so then try to turn the key again whilst wiggling the steering at the same time

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you