Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 05.5 jetta tdi with an emission workshop code of

Customer Question

I have a 05.5 jetta tdi with an emission workshop code of p0101. I replaced the maf sensor and a vacuum hose. Car is losing mpg and is hard to start
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

there are some more information is needed. first i do need the mileage of the vehicle. second i do need to know if you are using approved 505.01 vw approved oil for your engine? what scan tool are you using (make and model)

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
98000, yes to the oil, and I had the fault codes given to me by autozone

what other codes are stored if any others?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None

any excessive black smoke out of the tail pipe while accellerating?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

There is a very very good chance you have a flat camshaft. the repair for this is new camshaft , new lifters, 2 camshaft to injector rocker shafts , and 4 injector cups . a timing belt change with all rollers and water pump if the belt was never changed. interval 80k for replacement on the belt.

the reason for the p0101 is that the motor is not breathing correctly due to the flat camshaft not opening the valves fully .

this is a pretty expensive repair!!! $3k .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just installed this motor. Has new water pump and timing belt.

used motor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Had 91000 on it

2005.5 to late 2006 had issues with flat cams . the only way is to remove valve cover and inspect cam lobes and see if the edges are sharp . if they are then the cam is no good!!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That was the issue with the original motor @274000 miles. It had none of the symptoms I'm experiencing now.

Ok. did you install a new timing belt? If you did..... Did you use the lock down tools to install?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Idk

There is a crank lock and cam lock that is absolutely needed to change the timing belt then either the factory scan tool or vag com is needed to fine tune the timing

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sure the VW service dept.had that.

Ok. Now let's start at the beginning !!! You had an engine changed with a used one. Because of a flat cam? Correct. You replaced the engine by yourself or a repair shop? LWhere? The more details of all was done the better! Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
VW mechanic. I've had it in for a yr now. Regular oil changes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The emissions workshop light came on. Fault code said maf sensor. Replaced that. Light still didn't go out. Replaced vacuum hose leak. Light went out until I got 20 min. Down the road. Now my mpg has dropped and it is hard to start in the morning. Fault code still says maf sensor. Was hoping i wouldn't have to pay high dealer services fees to fix this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?

I still do believe you have a flat cam issue. Inspection is needed to verify this. As I have said before the camshaft is a pretty common issue