vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Sir, I'm having issues with a 05 VW golf GTI 1.8th that was

Customer Question

sir, I'm having issues with a 05 VW golf GTI 1.8th that was someone else's project car with several mods on it. One being a chip. I know that's sketchy to jump into, but I really want to make this thing work. My problems is much like the one I'm reading now, the car will not start, but it will turn over. We checked and we know it doesn't have spark. We should probably check to see if it's getting fuel, but we haven't yet. If you have any guidance on where to go next, it would be much appreciated. I've changed the sparkplugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, and crankshaft positioning sensor.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any trouble codes stored in the engine control module ??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After getting a battery in the car, it's only throwing three. p0688 something to do with emissions I believe, and then p0322, and p036. At some point when I changed the crankshaft sensor, that code had popped up also. It also has an epc light (idk if that's relevent or not)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
P0036*

Have you checked timing yet???

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would that stop the car from getting spark entirely?

Yes if timing is out the crank sensor will stop sending the signal for the spark , has this been checked if it has not please do