VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

I have a 2002 Jetta with 98xxx miles The only problem that I

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Jetta with 98xxx miles
The only problem that I have is when I turn on the car and I want to put it on Drive I have to press the gas just a little bit to kick in or put it back to N and then D and it will kick in right away
I just want to fix it before it breaks something else
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 11 months ago.

First, most important step will be to have a shop check transmission fluid level. Could simply be a case of low fluid. Unfortuantely, this is not an easy job for the home DIYer, since it requires the car to be raised, fluid temperature to be under 30c, and then a scan tool is required to monitor fluid temp, as the car is being run on a lift.

Second step also requires a VW-specific scan tool to check for fault codes, if any, that are stored in the transmission control module.

Any competent European-specific repair shop will be able to do both of these items for you. Expect about a 1.5 hour labor charge.