gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2001 VW Jetta Turbo. The symptoms are intermittent

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have a 2001 VW Jetta Turbo. The symptoms are intermittent idling problems and I have seen blue smoke. Any ideas? Thanks...***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When the problem occurs... upon starting it will run fine for 15 seconds then I will need to rev it up to keep it running or it stalls
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a check engine light on? Even if not, it may help to get faults read, as diesels are tricky to diagnose for people who don't work with them a lot. Many of the symptoms require reading data value blocks and comparing them to known values. Autozone or other large chain parts stores will read faults for FREE.

It sounds like you may be overfuelinng, often due to a bad coolant temp sensor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my vehicle is not a diesel any other ideas?

Ok, that makes it easier. There will always be a certain amount of oil in the intake due to weeping of the turbo seals. I would disconnect both of the air hoses low down on the cross pipe behind the radiator and drain all this oil, it can be several cups! And I would have faults scanned, but likely you have a vacuum leak due to cracked hoses in the PVC system. Start at the end of the valve cover at the rubber "y" pipe and inspect those lines for cracks.