Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

I have a 2000 VW Golf 2.0 Automatic. I am a domestic tech 20

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW Golf 2.0 Automatic.
I am a domestic tech for over 20 years. I have rebuilt numerous transmissions.
I have a full set of tools for testing. Ross-Tech Vag Com and trans pressure gauge set.
I am also an expert on here.
Here is what I have:
We had trouble with the trans overheating. It would stop shifting and trans would default to 2nd gear. Trans was 135 C
Removed the cooler and cleaned. There was a hole in the cover and the pan where I suspect that someone had hit something. All was good for 1000 miles or so.
1st lost 4th gear, then 3rd. Now wont move at all. Fluid full.
I am ready to remove and disassemble. I just want to know if there is anything I should check prior to removing so I make sure I have it diagnosed properly.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

I have done many transmission myself and believe I know how you feel. To my mind you are on track. Can only be on the inside the transmission. The high temperature could have destroyed the solenoid windings and or the wiring harness.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you dont think I am missing anything? Should I check pressures or will it be obvious when I open it up?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you familiar with this particular trans?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just want to make sure that when I remove the trans that I know what has failed so when I reinstall the problem does not come back.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

I think if you feel that you need to check the pressures then do that. But as you say you know that the fluid got very hot so I think the solenoids has all taken a beating.

Greetings,

Martin.

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

I have been thinking about your question and you say after you first repaired the cooler and replaced the fluid the car ran fine. So that to me say that the clutch packs has to be good. It must be something to do with the solenoids. or the wiring. The brass clutch packs do not wear very easy I has seen the transmissions on fork-tucks taking a severe hammering before they go bad.

I would check the solenoid first and make very sure they are good.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How familiar are you with this transmission? How should I check the solenoids prior to disassembly?