vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Cooling fan keeps running after engine shut off. Replaced

Customer Question

cooling fan keeps running after engine shut off. Replaced coolant temp sensor, no change. 2005 Touareg V6 3.2l
Category: VW
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-n3f1w267- replied 1 year ago.

I've seen this before , the whole unit is in trouble I'm pretty sure. You need to remove the fan and see the connection near the fan motor . It is probably corroded !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure we are talking the same vehicle? No need to remove the fan to check he connections.

Yes , not the big connector with 4 pin .where the wire enter in the motor, those 4 wires are not in a connector . They just go in , in some sort of plastic gel , if you look closely you will see some corrosion !

Those wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I test it with a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a picture of a random fan? Because the big fan on the T has the control module in the center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ignore my last comment, I see what you mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a corrosion issue, why would the fan blow so hard? It seems almost like it gets a signal to go flat out

It's a fan from a Porsche cayenne or the Touareg that i found on Google just to show you what I meant , there is something going on in the module, sort of a short circuit that makes the fan blow so hard , can't explain why but it happen. I never tested it tough. But I'm pretty sure you wil find corrosion and the problem is right there !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I still would would like to make sure that I can test it somehow, a fan module is ~$500-600 so i want to make sure it is that instead of a broken sensor sending the wrong signal.

By experience , I would remove the fan , which is pretty easy with one clip on each side , and remove the 4 torx 27 bolt and see if everything is sealed and ok ...