gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

OH. I didn't know there was someone here
, 2011 jetta

Customer Question

Customer: OH. I didn't know there was someone here
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2011 jetta tdi radio doesn't work. Just bought a new one and it doesn't work. Doesn't seem to be power to radio when key is turned on. only the constent 12v power supply
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm willing to pay only if someone can tell me there is a radio relay and or more that 2 fuses. I checked both fuses and they are fine.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 11 months ago.

Is the issue with the new radio the same as the reason you were replacing the old one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have answer to my question?

with the radio pulled out, do you have power at both pins 15 and 16 (wires are both red with yellow tracer) These pins are powered from fuse B8 and C28. Check to make sure you have power at both of these fuses, they are powered by fuse A1

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have power at both wires with key off. No power at any other wires with key on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are pictures of my fuse boxes on my 2011 Jetta TDI

It sounds like you have another bad radio. Those wires should power up both the radio, and the SAFE display.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should there also be a power on when key is turned on? Cause i'm not getting any power to other wires when key is turned on? What about ground? Could there be a bad ground?

T16b/12 is your ground. The radio should be able to be turned on without the key on, and the key on activation is done through the BUS system, as long as the radio has power.