gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2000 jetta that wont shift, feels like its stuck in

Customer Question

Customer: i have a 2000 jetta that wont shift, feels like its stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, the other day it started to shift and after i parked it at the store it did not shift again, i had gotten a shift solenoid code but when i dropped the trans pan i dicovered that the trans filter was laying in the pan, i think its been laying in the pan for a while, it will not go back up into the rubber gasket, it just keeps falling down. could that be my problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i checked the wiring for the solenoids on outside of trans and inside the trans the ribbon looks good too. no cuts or brakes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 11 months ago.

Since you have the pan dropped, I would just replace the filter. It's pretty likely that with it lying in the pan, the system is not able to pull up enough fluid and reach the pressures it needs to in order to shift correctly. It will come with a new rubber gasket, and should slide smoothly into place and stay there snugly. Note that the transmission requires special synthetic transmission fluid that is VW-specific, and needs to be filled while running at a specific temperature, until fluid overflows from the drain hole with the overflow insert firmly in place.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
even if the trans was over filled it wouldnt be able to pull trans fluid if filter was laying in bottom of pan?

Well, there is about an inch and a half between the pickup port on the filter, and the corresponding port on the valve body. That would be over a quart of fluid overfilled.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have one more question having trouble with internet at the moment

Check your fuse 1 (20a) and fuse 9 (10a), power supply to the ECM. Make sure you have power to the fuse. I just had one of these last week, replaced the PCM and it came right back, found that fuse 1 had power on one side of the fuse, but was losing connection on the other leg of the fuse- wiggling the fuse I could hear the fuel pump relay right above the fuse panel clicking on and off.