gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Relating to I have a similar problem with P0501 on a 2008

Customer Question

Relating to http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswagen/15i81-jetta-00-car-returning-error-code-p0501.html. I have a similar problem with P0501 on a 2008 Jetta, 5 cylinder, automatic trans. Except in my case the speedometer is dead, odometer is dead, fuel gauge varies widely on change in speed, several dash lights (abs etc.) are lit. The car shifts and drives normal. I gather that I should be looking for G22. My Haynes manual appears to be useless for this. Further background, this car recently hit 130,000 miles and the transmission was acting up. A mechanic replaced the valve body (I think) and the car was running like new. A few months later, my wife was backing out of the drive, and then moving forward, all symptoms mentioned above manifested instantly.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I would check is the connectors on the front of the transmission. They tend to get fluid seeping through the pins and contaminating or shorting the circuits. Disconnect the connectors and see if there is ATF in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car has never dripped a single drop of anything on the ground. However, I can look at that. What connectors are you referring to? Pics? Please, can you tell me where G22 is located?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

On this transmission, there is no G22- instead the system relies on the speed signal from the left front wheel speed sensor. Check to make sure there is no damage to the wiring there.

What scan tool are you using, and what module are you pulling the fault code from? Do you have access to the ABS module or the transmission control module?