Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,32 years diagnostic/repair experience all makes and models ,shop owner
13677702

I have a 2002 Jetta automatic transmission it has 97980

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Jetta automatic transmission it has 97980 miles and I just bought it and I Just want to know if I should change the transmission oil or not
I don't think they ever did a oil change on the transmission
Category: VW
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Are you experiencing any shifting problems or just general question about fluid change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is just went I turn it on in the morning when I put it on D it takes a little bit to kick in and when it does it jumps a little
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

well, hard to say if trans is th issue or another thing but to answer your initial question? VW does not have a frequency of trans fluid change meaning.... the design and fluid as a sealed unit is design to last the life of the vehicle, Now this does not mean a fluid change does not need to be done along the way so,, when one is experiencing a symp***** *****ke you have, I would recommend at least having fluid etc checked for condition , The problem? the design of the trans requires a VW scanner hooked up in order to check as well as change the fluid as well as special tools to check fluid so,, Unfortunately it is a shop that must do this, unlike past years when fluid had to be done say at 100K todays fluids and transmissions are different and fluid etc are designed for life of the vehicle Unless... you start to experience a symptom or problem then it could warrant a fluid change, This is all hard to explain but at 98K VW has nothing as far as fluid change