Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2000 VW 2.8 L VR6 engine code AFP (jetta) with AT

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW 2.8 L VR6 engine code AFP (jetta) with AT code 01P.
I need an ECM/ECU for this set up.
VW can't find parts. They say the part number is###-##-####, superseded now by###-##-####X.
Can you verify that part numbers are correct and where can I get a the part. Prefer used or reconditioned.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer .
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

I do need the vin# ***** verify part #s and to get factory info to assist

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The vin # *****: WV3AH470XYH091332. This is for a VW 2000 Eurovan. To get a new engine to put in I got a Jetta engine code AFP and the oil tray and the oil pump was exchanged for the parts that go into the Eurovan. The original engine code was AES. However, that engine is no longer available so a VW specialist converted the JETTA engine as it is the same except for the oil tray and oil pump.A VW dealer says that the part no is###-##-#### ***** is now superseded by###-##-####X. They can not find an ECM/ECU. Right now the part in the Eurovan is the###-##-####. The vehicle runs fine, but sets off a check engine light with code 17625. They have put in new spark plugs and wires, new fuel injectors, new ignition coil. Also new thermostat, new waterpump, new gaskets and hoses, new belt dampener and more.
If you think they are doing the right thing I would like to know. I recently put in a new AT so the Eurovan should be in good mechanical shape. Engine and AT were both remanufactured by VW in Germany. They now claim that the ECM/ECU is the problem, but can't find the right part.

Ok you have a #5 injector fault. Is it possible since the engine was changed that #5 injector got damaged or the connector is not plugged in? Let me get the diagram to make sure to check this out before Ecu replacement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All the fuel injectors were replaced with new ones about 60 days ago. The VW dealer say that they are sure it is the Ecu. In trying to refresh the Ecu they say that the Ecu "does not respond". The labor to get to the #5 fuel injector is quite labor expensive. Therefore it may be cost effective to replace the Ecu if we can find one since it is a plugin type of part. The problem is that we are uncertain of the Ecu part number and where to find one because of the new engine code. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks

need to check #5 fuel injector wiring at the ecu . what is the ohm readings of the 10 pn connector for the fuel injectors pins 5 and 7 and 5 and 8 please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for info will try to check as you suggested. The Van is in the VW shop and 100 miles from my house. They are closed until Jan 4 so can not do much until then.
Thanks and Happy New Year.
Tord Hillerstrom

you too and please let me know!!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi and thanks for follow up. The ECU is now with a company in Florida that will fix the false codes for the misfire. If they are able to reprogram it should solve the problem.
Thanks for your help.Tord
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

sure but i need to know did you check #5 injector circuit to make sure that it was an ecu issue than the wiring or injector that failed?

let me know