Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

2003 jetta, shifter sometimes gets stuck between reverse and

Customer Question

Customer: 2003 jetta, shifter sometimes gets stuck between reverse and drive won't reverse shifter tight
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: transmission seems to shift fine once it is in gear its almost like there is resistance to proper movement of the automatic shiter shifter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The first thought in my mind is that you might have a cable problem. What I mean is that the cable that select the different gear positions on the transmission has a spot where the cable has rubbed thru the teflon cover of the cable and getting stuck on the outer casing of the cable. Or I might be wrong and there is something amiss inside the transmission.

To find out one will actually have to disconnect the cable from the lever on the transmission and see when you operate it if there is any resistance.

The cable sits right on top of the transmission and it is easy to disconnect it.

Should you need more information and or assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.