vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

We lost the key to our 2005 VW Passat. We took the car to a

Customer Question

We lost the key to our 2005 VW Passat. We took the car to a VW dealer and had a key made. Valet key not FOB key and programmed it. Dealer tried to start car and it ran for a second then shut off. It continues to do this. What is the problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

either the key was not programmed correctly, wrong key, or an immobilizer issue ( instrument cluster, ecu, reader coil or wiring). is there a yellow light flashing when started and then stall?

please let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it was running fine before we carried it down to the dealer..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no yellow light

when you turn on the car does the check engine light come on?

if no yellow light then there is an issue with the immobilizer that needs to be addressed. a scan test is needed to see what codes are stored!!

do you have a VAG COM scan tool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they spent four hours on it and could not find it...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gossett VW in Memphis put it on the scan for four hours and could not find the problem....

what? let me get this straight that the vehicle is still there and will not run ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my car is currently in Gasset VW dealer and will not still run. When we took it down there it was still running fine and then they reprogrammed it with a new key and we think the new key program is the issue.

That is a good possibility

That they have maybe a bad key. Did they try the original key programming of the key that worked

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure about that...

did they give you an estimate of repair yet and what parts?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the diagnosis fee was 89.00 for one hour. They said they worked on it for 4 hours and their determination was the injectors were not pulsing. They could not work on it anymore unless we made an agreement unless we pay them $250 for a 2 hour minumum. Then he said he couldn't guarantee a correct diagnosis for that. Then 2 more hours would be $250 more.. We feel like if they can't diagnosis it in the first 4 hours, therefore we don't feel like they can figure out what our problem is. We are at the point of hauling it to another dealer.

That is a little fishy. I would get a second opinion. Did you talk with the service manager? Was he able to help out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we went and picked the car up and we are hoping our local mechanic can figure out the problem. VW was no help.

ok if you can get a full scan of the car and let me know what codes are stored i can try to assist!!