Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 2003 vw jetta 1.8t will stall when driving at ghway

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my 2003 vw jetta 1.8t will stall when driving at highway speeds and around town. it only happens when the fuel level is at quarter tank.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when the fuel level drops to quarter tank the car looses power and stalls. it will start again after 5 or 6 attempts at turning the key to start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd say this could be a fault with the inlet valve to the fuel tank

this allows air in on a 1 way valve to prevent a vacuum being created inside the tank as it empties

so try loosening the filler cap a little to see if this helps

if it does then replace the cap

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a way of loosing the filler cap. When I turn the cap it clicks. So it only tightens so far then it clicks. Ill give you more history. The fuel pump has been replaced twice. The first replacement the car would stall when the fuel level was right before the gas light came on. Then on the second replacement the car stalls now at 1/4 tank. Always right at 1/4 tank. If the fuel drops below 1/4 tank it will run fine, but occasionally will stall at any point below 1/4 tank.