Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

98 volkswagen jetta
, Car won't start, getting misfire

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, 98 volkswagen jetta
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car won't start, getting misfire codes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my wait time has been estimated 8 minutes for the last 80 minutes lol. thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse , proper fuel pressure and good engine compression. If you can check each one of these things and post back with which one you are lacking I will try and help you determine the cause. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just recently replaced all the spark plugs, the distributor cap, the rotor arm, the plug wires. It is cranking but refusing to start. I noticed a vacuum line that had been worn through so I also shortened and reattached it. Not sure exactly how to check engine compression. I've been told to replace the coils but I am tired of blindly replacing parts. I also have an odd feeling that the Cat may be clogged? are these possible symptoms.When I do get the car to run, which I did last week, it misfires pretty badly and I will have trouble accelerating and really doing anything under 3.5k rpms.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Do not replace any thing till you check for spark, you can do this by removing one of the spark plugs from the spark plugs and holding it about 1/2 inch away from a good ground and have a helper crank it over. If you have spark you should see a nice blue spar jump to ground. A quick way to check to see if the cats are plugged would be to loosen the exhaust up at the manifolds till you have a healthy leak and see if it will start.