vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My daughter just replaced the battery in her 2008 Jetta. Now

Customer Question

My daughter just replaced the battery in her 2008 Jetta. Now it doesn't turn over and she can't get it out of Park. The battery is fully charged.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owners manual didn't provide any information on what to do when changing a battery.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

does anything work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights and accessories like the heater fan all work.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

did she hook up the battery backwards or jump start it wrong or anything prior to battery replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was jumped once and worked fine after that. They got the car home, removed the battery and got a new one that they installed, and installed it correctly, the cables are so short that I don't think you could hook it up backwards. Cables were hooked up correctly for the jump start.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

ok just checking before we chase a ghost issue.. cables are secure and tight? does the key turn ? any clicking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cables are tight, key turns. Just a soft click that sounds like it's coming from inside the car.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Have your tried a "capacitive discharge"? You disconnect the battery, and touch the cable ends together to discharge any stored electrical "memory" in all the modules.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

close and lock all the doors, allow the car to sit for at least two minutes. Then using the key unlock and open the car door and try to start, this should reset the alarm control unit, if this does not work, then do the same, close and lock the doors, wait two minutes, then open the trunk, do not close but leave it open, then open the door and try to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the door lock scenario, it did not resolve the problem. Will try the capacitive discharge suggestion next.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

ok keep me posted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been working with another online tech who thinks its the brake light switch. We are pursuing that now.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

its possible let me know

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

do the brakes light function?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tested all the fuses, they are all OK. We found the brake light switch on the master cylinder and replaced it. The brake lights still don't come on and we still can't get it out of park and it still doesn't turn over.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

what is the production date..it will be on the vin info sticker in the driver door jam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Date is 05 08
vin is 3VWJM71K48M183779
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

so you replaced #1 in the pic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that's it. A picture of the part is shown below:
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you checked the brake light fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every fuse was tested for continuity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will retest it now.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

sc14 and sb7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't see any fuses labeled SC14 or SB7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a 30 fuse box not a 54
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

is this a base jetta with a 2.5?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

do you have voltage to the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which wire?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

pin 1 and 4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More info is coming out. A week or so ago her fiancee was driving the car and it quit. He coasted to the side of the road and it wouldn't turn over or do anything. He let it set for a couple minutes and then it started. Sounds like an ECU that's overheating to me. Anyway, they are going to have it hauled to the dealer.