vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2003 VW Passat 6 nat gas with a strange electrical

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2003 VW Passat 6 nat gas with a strange electrical on the drivers side power panel nothing works except gas release door I have tried everything Climate control unit under carpet, master switch, window motor, new wiring harness and fuse I have no power at all not even activity light the open door light does work and the gas release switch all the other doors windows sunroof all work fine the only one not working is the drivers side master switch
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: master window switch gets not power and can not operate drivers side window up or down nor can it control any other functions side mirror adjust, but all other electronics work fine in the car the climate control module and the remote locks have never worked bought the car used never had them programed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure on both I will pay the fee and will wait a while I will go get a snack while I am waiting
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is getting late east coast time i will check for your information in the morning thanks and please let me know I think I have narrowed the problem to wiring I just need the wiring rout for the drivers side wiring harness once it reaches the inside panel right next to the door opening I am hoping there is a relay that controls the flow of electricity I have already checked all the 5/10/15 amp fuse system but I have no layout or information on the relay system once I get a wiring rout figured out I think I can control the testing to find the problem unless it is the anti theft system because the code has never been set to the key we use manual lock and unlock only
Thanks
Frank
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Wolfgang here to assist. There is a set of splices about 8 to 15 inches from the module to the main wiring loom that gets corroded and then breaks repair the splices note you must get clean copper on the wiring. You may have to go some times several feet to make this repair.

Please let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If your are tlalking about the wires connecting the climate control module I have repaired the when I installed the climate controll module I will check the continuity on each wire again

No it is on the loom near the module. Please recheck

Do you have vag com scan tool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have a scan tool but I can borrow one tomorrow. I will re-check the wires leading to the module can you give me any ideas as to which wires control the master switch I know a lot of those wires comes from other parts of the care like sunroof and other doors if I have a wiring diagram it will be easier to check and even re-solder those wires if need be all of them to make sure I am getting it right I have until the end of the month the car will not pass state inspection in Virginia unless the window comes down it is considered to be a safety risk in case of fire

no soldiering at all !!! must use butt connectors that heat shrink!!!

i do need a vin # ***** !!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The VIN: WVWH63B63P293463
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have always used heat shrink but I solder them as well the module I think you are talking about is the Comfort Control Module under the drivers side carpet in a black box ?

yes correct

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have completed the check of the line coming to the comfort control module I can find no shorts at all between the CC module and the door after I supplied the V.I.N. did you come up with a diagram of wiring I am almost thinking no power coming to that side NOTHING is lighting up besides the lower door light and I traced that to another feed not the CC Module as well as the gas tank release also feeds from another location not the CC module can you please give me a diagram of the power feed fro the drivers side door panel
Thanks
Frank

frank if you placed a new module it may need to be coded/programmed to what vehicle and options you have hence no trunk operation !!

let me get the diagram so you can make sure on the wire to the trunk is good

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is find except my main concern at this point is the power window up and down from the driver side the state of VA will not pass inspection with out the window working I am wondering if the power window function from the master switch on the door panel will control the same options of being programed?
Thanks
Frank

This scan tool still comes in play to see if the window motor is seeing the switch operation to determine if it is a switch or something further. Do the door locks switch work on the drivers door and mirror operation?