AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

2002 Passat 2.8. No heat and have replaced and gone through

Customer Question

2002 Passat 2.8. No heat and have replaced and gone through almost everything that I can think of, i.e water pump t stat heater core flush climatronic diagnostic (no codes). Still have no heat what could be next. oh and the system was pruged correctly so there is no air in the system.
Category: VW
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. when you flushed your heater core, did you get a very good flow of water through it in both directions? I have had heater cores that would not flush well enough to allow adequate heat inside the vehicle requiring replacement of the heater core. Check to see if both the inlet and outlet hoses of the heater core are actually hot and the same temperature when the engine is at operating temperature. If they are both hot and there is definitely no restriction in the heater core, then check to see if your blend door actuator is functioning.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so all of the system has been gone through and everything seems to be working correctly. VW suggested replacing the heater core and if that doesnt work then the air box in the dash. But they said it all seems to be working and have put out more than 1500 on this issue. is there something that is being mised like a sensor or something along that line?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as far as the heater core it was suggested that i do it again but use CLR and let it sit for 40 to 45 minutes before flushing it again wil distilled water.At this point I am will to try just about anything that doesnt cost me another 1000

I would first check to see if both the inlet and outlet hoses of the heater core are hot. If they are both hot then the heater core isn't the problem and we need to explore other possibilities but if they are not both hot then the heater core is the problem. I would assume that they did check this, but I wouldn't trust that, so it would be best if you could verify that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both of the hoses are hot and about the same temp as far as I can tell

Ok. If they are hot ( not just a little warm) then your heater core is likely not the issue. Try to listen down in the passenger side foot area to see if you can hear the blend door motor when attempting to change the temperature from hot to cold. It's possible that your blend door isn't changing from cold to hot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will do that. But I know the mech said it was all working

i totally understand your frustration. Obviously something isn't working. That's what i would have told him :/ If you are getting adequate coolant flow through your heater core, I would hate to see you spend that kind of money to replace it only to be in the same position that your in right now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the heat is ice cold. it sounds like the actuator is working properly because i can hear something go when switching from heat to ac and back.

does the temperature change at all, even a little bit, when you adjust the temperature from full cold to full hot, or from full hot to full cold.. or does it stay exactly the same?

I had a car in here once that had a mouse nest inside the air box which bound up and broke the actual blend door. when the temp knob was turned, the actual temp did absolutely nothing. Their symptoms were exactly the same. I am going to say that your problem is in the air box. I don't think the problem is your heater core. Usually a partially clogged heater core will provide you with warmer than "ice cold" air.