vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

The vw Jetta TDI will not shift into 4th gear. It is an

Customer Question

The vw Jetta TDI will not shift into 4th gear. It is an automatic.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Hello there I'm Wolfgang. Is the gear selector display all gears lit up?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

The vehicle needs to be scanned for faults in the transmission control module . there is a fault stored and that indication of all the gears lit proves that there is a fault stored.

VAG COM , professional , or factory scan tool is needed to retrieve the faults to isolate what part of the trans needs to be diagnosed. Do you have VAG COM?