Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 73 super beetle. I was driving and it went dead,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 73 super beetle. I was driving and it went dead, manually broke the points open, no spark, replaced coil and points still no spark , have condenser but haven't put them in yet. With a test light + side of coil is hot.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Ok a broken condenser can result in this so definitely replace that next

also check the state of the main engine earth connection, as this needs to be tight and corrosion free as the ignition system obviously earths through the block

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.