Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have dangerous handling issues with a 2010 vw Tiguan.

Customer Question

I have dangerous handling issues with a 2010 vw Tiguan. Small bumps on the road make the car wobble violently. Tyres are new and correct pressure, have replaced rear springs and swing arms and wheel geometry has been laser aligned. Completely stumped! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

do you have the print out of the alignment before and after specs?

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

can you post the pic of that specs here please so i can have a peek?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will post shortly.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to get the pictures to send..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or maybe I can..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

your rear toe is still out on the left side. what are the tire pressures and what brand and model tires are on the vehicle . size and load rating too please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pirelli scorpion zero 235/55 R17 V
32psi all round
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The toe adjustment is at maximum and that is the best result that could be obtained..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

if it is at maximum then something is bent!!! was a second opinion taken where a different shop had the vehicle on the alignment machine to see maybe the first repair facility aligner may be out ? was the vehicle in a accident recently? please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle has not been in an accident. This is the 3rd mechanic to look at it since Vw replaced a cracked near side rear spring and started the problem.. I insisted that VW replace the off side Spring also and this did not help.. Since then I used a garage for laser alignment and it was a little better but not good. Now we changed out the swing arms and replaced tyres and had it aligned again elsewhere and still this problem.. I can't think what could be bent at all.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

there should be enough travel to adjust the toe in . i wonder if the spindle is tweaked causing the toe out issue and by adjusting it its almost there but not quite!!

its hard because i cannot drive the vehicle to experience what are you experiencing . I cn go by of the readings . i wonder maybe you have dead shocks in the rear and cannot dampen the load given over bumps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that the toe in should be able to be adjusted so that it's perfect, but the car behaves the same before and after toe and camber adjustment. When the car handled well (before the spring change and with a cracked Spring) in fact all 4 wheels were toe outwards and and cambered in at the top. Am sure the shocks are ok, is it possible that VW could have fitted the wrong spring or two different springs with different rebound?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

very very slim chance on that .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are kind of at a dead end then, I was hoping you would have know a common fault but it doesn't seem that easy. I guess there is no option but to keep outing new parts on until we cure it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

are the rear shocks new ? are there any signs of leaks on the shock? the rebound issue feels more left than right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shocks are less than 2 years old, no signs of leaks. The rebound issue is definitely worse from the near side rear, turning right is very scary..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Can you look at the rear springs and tell me what are the color paint marks on each spring

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, I was really hoping that this would be a known issue and a simple fix. I don't think we will find a solution without you driving or seeing the car.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

yeah i understand !!! there has not been any stand out issues with the rear of that vehicle