gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a W8 2003 passat yesterday when I start the car the

Customer Question

Hi sir,
I have a W8 2003 passat yesterday when I start the car the engine was shake like crazy first, second a hard noise like a lose metal very close to the water pump and third, a sound like a hammer hit something continuously but this sound is more harder in the bottom of the engine not in the top, and the only code that appears in P0599
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I would start off by checking the timing belt to make sure the tensioner has not failed.

The fault code is for the electrically operated thermostat, which is in the valley under the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear about oil sludge can tho be possible in this engine
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The only way to know would be to drop the pan, but it won't cause these symptoms. It's more common on the 1.8t Passat due to the high heat of the turbo pulling that heavy vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To see the tensioners is easy what do I need to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car its suppose to give me a code fon that problem?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You need to remove the upper plastic timing covers at each side.

If the timing is far off it will set a fault, but I hope you didn't leave it running for long if it was making a lot of noise.