eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified tech
6149662

I just bought a 2011 jetta - 65K miles the engine light and

Customer Question

I just bought a 2011 jetta - 65K miles
the engine light and EPC light is on - car is loosing power when pressing the gas peddle
Category: VW
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just dropped it off to the shop 30 minutes ago - no response yet
I was hoping to get some information ahead of time to insure proper fixes
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

proper procedure would be to scan for dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes) and then investigate each trouble code to find the root case

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons. The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes. Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the codes from my shop and copy them into this message -
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

great