Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2005 jetta not getting fuel from injectors. showing all 4

Customer Question

Customer: 2005 jetta not getting fuel from injectors. showing all 4 malfunction. Will run with starting fluid. installed new fuel pump, and have fuel to rail. fuses ok to ecm.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a 2.0 BEV gas engine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure since I'm searching for answers anyway
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

Was a scan test performed? what codes was stored? i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle to get the factory wiring diagram . thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p0202,p0201,p0204,p0203 injector circuit malfunctions. vin #3VWRK69M25M026465
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of course i got maf code when I ran with starting fluid
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Just to make sure just the 4 codes. Was there any codes to narrow down the diagnosis section

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just The 4 Codes. The Fuses Are Ok But No Power To Them. 10 Amp 32 &34. Injectors Have 3.4 To 3.5 volts On Terminal 2.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

was the fuel pump relay changed ? that would be the next step . that controls the fuel pump and the injectors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already changed with fuel pump.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

is that a vw factory part or an aftermarket relay. if the factory relay can you give me the 1j0 part # *****?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has 409 stamped on it. installed napa relay. switched back to original and back again. no change. 1J0 906 383 C
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok check one last thing on top of the battery fuse box . there is a bolted 50a fuse . make sure that is good then you need to check the alternator charging wire that goes to the fuse 110 a fuse make sure that is not melted down . a pic gives me a look see also if i see anything unusual!!!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO ISSUE WITH FUSE LINKS ON BATTERY, AND NO ISSUE WITH ALTERNATOR WIRE
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok we need to trace from the cable from the fuse to the bolted connection at the relay box where the 409 relay is at.

then from the bolted connection to the fuel pump relay terminal.

do you have a digital volt/ohm meter to do some checking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check from the fuse box( which fuse) to the bolted fuel pump relay connection, then to the fuel pump relay terminals?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the bolted 50 amp fuse wire to the threaded connection at the relay box (30a) then to the 30 terminal of the fuel pump relay. make sure that side of the power circuit is good then the 87 circuit of the relay to the fuse 28 of the fuse box . then the other side of fuse 28 to fuel pump blue/ red wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to get a long lead for my meter to check tomorrow. I'll let you know
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have power to the number 2 terminal on the fuel pump relay and it will run when turning the key on. I have ohmed the wire from the relay box terminal to the 32 and 34 fuses and they check ok, so something is keeping the power from leaving the relay to the circuit. does it with both the old and new relay
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the fuel pump runs but no power leaving relay to terminal which goes to fuse box 32 and 34 fuses
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 12 months ago.

what happens if you remove the relay and then jumper wire 30 to 87 circuit does the engine start and run?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'll try that tomorrow. I did get it to run while I was checking the codes again, I plugged in the old relay and it ran then cut off, Codes showed grounds so I checked battery and alternator wire was hot. I disconnected it and ran the car again then it cut off again. I cycled the ignition switch several times and it ran then cut off, and the 4 injector circuit codes re appeared and it won't run again. Battery voltage is 12.25 so that's not it. Could my alternator be bad causing the electrical issue with the relay. Could it have messed up the ignition switch? The voltage at the relay box was 11.84 when I was checking voltage and ohming the the wiring. I unplugged the plug on the alternator and checked voltage by going between the alternator hot wire and the battery hot and got 11.25 volts. Could the alternator be grounding out? I did check the hot wire from the alternator when it ran and got 14.8 volts between ground and the hot wire from the alternator.

You may have a bad relay

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
cycled ignition switch several times and now it runs every time. if the ignition switch contacts were causing a voltage drop to the relay box (11.84v) and not sending enough power to pull in the relay, then I think it would be the switch since the same thing occurred with both the old and new relays. Don't you think I should change the ignition switch to be on the safe side? The fuel pump has run ever since I changed it, but not the power to the injectors. The ecm has read the codes every time it cut off, so I don't think that is the problem.

being that the ignition switch is real easy to change yes!! now it can cause this but that is a new spectrum that was not tackled.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried jumping 30 to 87 and still won't run (fuel Pump did). did flash code for engine speed sensor(crank) so I've ordered and will change. so the other pins on the relay are from the speed sensor, coolant level sensor, ecm and what else. Relay is pulling in every time letting the fuel pump run but not the engine so something outside of the relayis opening it to cause it to drop out. If you have the wiring diagram for the relay we can keepgoing till we figure it out............we still don't have the answer.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

ok that means the pump circuit is ok so its an ecu controlled issue where it will not run and with the crank sensor fault that would be the next step to go . just to make sure what was the crank sensor code ? thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
engine speed sensor code. Did you look at relay diagram? What are the relay pins other than 30 and 87 which are power?

here is the wiring diagram of the engine electronics

when you jumped 30 and 87 did you have 12 volts at fuse 32 and then do you have power at the injector plug red/lilac wire ?

30 is your main power and 87 is the other side of the relay when the relay activates

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know what 30 and 87 are. what are the rest

on the diagram if you look one wire goes to fuse 29 then powers the ecm. the other is the contact wire from the latch to send voltage to fuel pump when door is opened!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no power to injectors again. So can I jumper from the 53 relay terminal to the 409 terminal off the relay block to see if it runs? The 53 relay gets power when I turn on the key

apply power directly from battery to fuse 29 and try to start . does it run?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
29 has power already and fuel injector fuse shows power when it turns over now, so it has to be ecm failure. Can I get a used ecm and just install or will I have to get one done at a shop? Does the imobilizer come into play in this process or is that in the control module under the seat?

yes the immo comes in great play on this and must be programmed to the vehicle so it needs to go to vw dealer!!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can do one more thing before going that route. I can take a test light and check injector firing using the ground side from the ecm off the injector harness to make sure the ecm is not firing them first don't you think? Would the cam sensor keep the injectors from firing or does that only involve the ignition power to the plugs?

No test light!!!! The cam sensor will not keep the car from running. It's a reference point only. Use volt meter or led test light

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
showed P0321 implausible range on crank sensor along with fuel injector codes. have you ever gotten a bad crank sensor.

I have seen it but low battery voltage and extended crank time can cause the code. I only use Vw parts from the dealer. I have seen aftermarket parts can cause issues