vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2000 beetle. Wondering where ecu/ecm relay is. Under

Customer Question

2000 beetle. Wondering where ecu/ecm relay is. Under steering wheel or in engine compartment. (Back right in plastic housing). Do you have the part number. It's a 1.8 turbo.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

What exactly is going on with the vehicle ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughters yellow bug. Ugh...won't start again.....in the last 6 months I replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel filter, cam shaft position sensor.
Cranks but will not start. If I pull the fuel pump relay and re install, start car I can here fuel pump. I also "hot wired" relay and the pump runs.
No air bag symbol on start up. Leads me to think its ecu related. Opened ecu and lots of water, leaves, mouse crap. No loose wires, melted wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor / Engine Speed Sensor . (Down by the oil filter)Getting my usual codes, p0725, p1780, p1850
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the relay is not hot wired and you remove it and reinstall it does it start the car ? ( relay not hot wired )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The problem is not having the Chechen engine light up with key in ignition (one click). It's not communicating with Ecm. At one point the light showed up and sure it enough it started, but now nothing. I'm getting power at fuse 10, and have swapped the relays "100" around.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

Ok we have seen a couple common issues try to remove the battery tray and the battery and you will have a couple grounds located under the battery try to remove clean the sounds and check to see if you have eco communication

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry i just got this done. No corrosion, looks good. I cleaned anyway and no change.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have power and ground at the ecm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ground. I have power from fuse. I'm not sure how to check at ecm.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

You will need to get access to the eco under the dash upper panel and unplug the connector and see if you get power to the main big connector and also ground ?