gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

My 2008 VW Jetta has a pcv problem how do I fix it my self

Customer Question

My 2008 VW Jetta has a pcv problem how do I fix it my self and does the air pump go bad that on top of the motor where the air goes from the air filter the car runs good going down the road but idle it sound like it missing I put new coil pack on it and
sparke plugs check engine light is on it as plink before any help please
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im ke in how can i help ? You say you have a pcv fault how do you know this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That what one of the other guys on here told me I have put on a computer it didn't show put I have taken off my top cover of the engine where the air filter is and the started the motor the pump not sucking air like it did before
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Im gonna opt out on this one another tech will help shortly

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming you have the 2.0? Have you called the dealership to make sure you don't qualify for the recall, they were all replaced at one point, including a metal hose to the turbo as well.

If you don't qualify, then it is just a matter of unscrewing the 6 T25 Torx screws from the PCV valve on the front of the valve cover, disconnecting the two hoses, and replacing it.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to remove the oil cap with the engine running, or does it suck down really hard? That is the symptom of the PCV being bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2.5 engine is it the same has 2.0
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

No, on the 2.5 the problem is usually internal in the valve cover- as the PCV system is built into it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to replace the valve cover
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help