internal88
internal88, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working in the automotive industry for over 10 years. Diagnostic is my strength.
63512786

I my name is ***** *****, and I have a 2006 Jetta Value

Customer Question

Customer: I my name is ***** *****, and I have a 2006 Jetta Value Edition with an automatic transmission with 165K miles, I bought it used with 102K miles a few years ago. within the last month the following situation has started, when driving in heavy traffic and the transmission is shifting frequently between 3rd and 4th gear, the transmission "slips" and although the indicator reads that I am in 3rd or 4th gear, I am in neutral. Sometimes it will catch and go back into gear, which is accompanied by a loud slamming/jerking sound and motion. When it doesn't "catch" I have to stop the car, turn off the car, and restart it. The transmission has two settings, the "regular" setting and "S", the problems occur in both but seem to be less frequent when I have the transmission in "S." Is this simply a bad transmission, or is the vehicles computer possibly faulty and therefore to blame? Or something else?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: nothing I can think of
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - VW tech.

Which engine do you have? When was the last time you have replaced the transmission fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a 2.5 liter engine. I have not replaced the fluid since I have owned the vehicle.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

First, I would recommend replacing the transmission only using VW transmission fluid.

Then if is still have the same issue. Then you go to VW dealer to get the latest TCM update for the transmission.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate me positive thank you!