vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My 2003 2.0 has starting issue. Cranks but no voltage to

Customer Question

My 2003 2.0 has starting issue. Cranks but no voltage to fuel pump, instrument cluster doesn't light up with key on, windows will not work, battery drains if left connected overnight
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guys I didn't know this was not a live conversation or am i not sitting by the car.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Check fuse 14 in the fuse box on the end of the dash- small 10a red fuse. This is for the comfort module, which is what controls the windows.

When you turn the key on you get NOTHING on the dash cluster? No warning lights come up, oil and battery light, Check Engine light should come on and do a self-check at this time.

If not, then you need to check power supply to the ECM under the cowl area (remove the wiper blades and the black plastic cowl cover) Power wires are the large red wires, and you should have good ground at the large brown wires. Check with an ohm meter on the ground wires, and for battery voltage at the power wires.

It sounds like you may have multiple issues going on here. How long has it been since the car last ran?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go out and check it. Car ran well up until maybe six weeks ago. Went out one morning and it wouldn';t start. It is second car so didn't need it quickly.
Answer question on dash cluster. Nothing comes on except the open hood indicator. With key in On position, none of cluster gauges come on.
Also, forgot this one. My Code Reader will not read even when doing 10 second reset deal. It always get Link Error
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuses on top of the battery? And check the wiring there for any sign of heating (melted or swollen insulation) or corrosion. Sometimes this can cause a battery draw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked fuses at battery. Tightened and cleaned connections. replaced the alternator cable couple years ago because it fried. Is there a trick to removing wipers? Removed the nuts and neither one will budge? My bearing puller is too large to fit but didn't want to go that route anyway.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If you turn on the ignition, hit the wipers, then turn off the key when they are at the top, that makes it easiest- but you can do it in the rest position as well. Close the hood, flip the wiper arm up as if you are going to change the blade. Wiggle it back and forth, and it will come loose. After you take them off, if you pivoted the motor ip, make sure you run the wipers back to the down position before you put the arms back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed wipers and plastic cowl nothing under there except wiper motor, some kind of air temperature sensor and strut mounts?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I thought you had a Jetta, just rechecked and saw that it is a New Beetle. You need to go inside, remove the upper dash covers. The center piece is slightly higher than the rest, it slides toward the window to remove, then there are some T20 Torx screws under there, once those are out you can lift either side of the dash covers, they are snapped down into place with clips.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go back out to car and remove cover. Can we continue later?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Sure, no hurry. I just keep the site active while I am working and check in regularly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This crazy. Only thing under the cover on left side is another plastic cover that doesn't seem to come off without taking more of the dash apart. Torn this damn car apart and still no ecu.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

http://www.rebelscum.com/computer.htm

Here is a link that shows a picture of what you are looking at