vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have 2001 New Beetle. When I turn on the heat (switch from

Customer Question

Hello I have 2001 New Beetle. When I turn on the heat (switch from cool to warm) there is very little heat coming out, plenty of air just no heat. I did have the issue where the mixing door wasnt working and that was fixed. Also at one point all I could get was heat, if you started the car and had the AC on it was fine but the second you adjusted the temp, boom it would go to heat. Anyway, The car is warmed up, plenty of coolant etc..just cant figure what else to check
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the knob, do you have tension on it, like it feels like it is pulling a cable (which it should be)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I turn the Heat-Cool dial I can feel it turning the Mixing vane with my other hand.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does your temp gauge show what seems to be an appropriate temperature? If you feel the hoses going to the firewall (to the heater core) are they hot (both of them)? How many miles are on the car, and have you had the timing belt replaced? How about the water pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no temperature gauge on the Beetle. I will check the hoses in the morning
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

That's right- does your blue light go off in a decent amount of time, just a few minutes? You don't have a check engine light on at all do you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Check Engine light on

Blue light goes off in reasonable time (few minutes)

Both hoses seem warm to touch

The Heat/Cool Dial doesnt have a lot of resistance but I do feel the mixing vane moving, not sure if there is another internal vane.

Odd part was in the summer, sometimes if you touched the heat/cool dial it would only push Hot air even if the AC was on. However when I pushed the connection to the lower mixing vane back in place it seemed to stop that.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Can you feel the connection under the airbox (under the dash) where the cable connects to the flap? If so, see if you can activate it by hand, make sure the lever is actually moving the flap. You should audibly hear it move from one side to the other, at least at the end stops of hot and cold it should kind of "thump" into place, especially if you have the fan on high to increase air pressure on the flap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I feel where the Snap Bushing is connected to the blend box, it was real loose. In fact I jiggle it a bit while I had fan on high, and it just fell out. then I heard the door Thump into place. The air now is just warm, not hot. However with the snap bushing out, it cont go on full code or full hot. Wondering if this means I have to take of the dash to fix the blend door now.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a picture of the piece that fell out? You mean the piece that is basically where the door pivots?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

snap bushing

this is it when it is pushed in place, I can hold it in with my hand although it doesnt see to change Hot to Cold just seems to stay warm

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I have "fixed" one of those by jamming a block underneath it to keep to from falling out- but yes, the only way to really "fix" it is to pull the dash and replace that part of the airbox.