vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a creak in the suspension on my driver side of my

Customer Question

I have a nasty creak in the suspension on my driver side of my 2005 VW Passat. I have replaced both lower control arms and had a mechanic (who said) he re-torqued the subframe bolts. I get this creak mainly in breaking and accelerating from momentum to halts and vice versa. It also get it while turning at lower speeds. It's so loud that people in other cars with windows up turn to look at me because they hear it. This "pop/creak" is big in weight shifting of the car.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car also had some slip and drift in the ice and snow in March that went through Tennessee, but no collisions.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello....welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Have take a look at the axle boot ,if it's ripped the grease came out and the cv joint is dry ,this will give you the pop/creak noise.

Another possibility is a loose axle on the hub/bearing,just oose ity all the way and spray some penetration oil (wd40) in the axle splines and tight the axle again.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replaced the CV Axle two weeks ago to no avail. We checked the rotors/wheels for play, but there was none any other thoughts? It's REALLY noticiable when turning and accelerating simultaneously.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Ok...I am talking about the axle where it goes into the hub, loose the center nut/bolt and push the axle a bit towards the transmission and then spray some wd40 or any penetration oil and tight the axle back again really good.

Let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the axle I promise. I've stuck my hand on that thing and moved the car back and forth and turned the wheel and the creaks and pops aren't felt in it at all. I feel it strongly in both control arms I just replaced and can feel it in the strut a little. A
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if you lift the car off the ground the sound disappears. Does this car have strut mounts? I've thought it was those for the longest time, Since it sounds literally like an old creaky large wooden door when shifting weight in the car. But then some mechanis keep telling me my car doesn't have them, but I have seen them listed for my car at every part store I go to. Most frustrating 5 months of my life with this car.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Yes ,you do have strut mounts ,they are big rubber cones on top of the strut .

Yes you can put a bit of grease or spray some lube on them to see if noise goes away.

My fault ,I thought that the noise was only when you are moving.

If you get the noise when you turning the steering wheel when parked ,a dry rubber mount is a good possibility.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's raining hard today and the noise is really unnoticeable.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hi there , did you have a change to look at your car yet ?

Also look at the tie rod end ,a bad/dry tie rod end would also make that noise.

Good luck.

let me know.

Thank you.