gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Mick. I just ran my car three hours. Ran fine. Parked it an

Customer Question

Hi mick. I just ran my car three hours. Ran fine. Parked it for about an hour to check into my hotel. Went out to start it and it won't turn over. Sounds like it wants to but it won't.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

When you say it won't turn over, you mean that it is cranking but does not fire, or does not even crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks but won't turn over. My glow plug light isn't turning on. And also the car gave me no indication that there was something wrong. Could it be my relay 109?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing it was low on oil... But motor isn't seized and I don't think it's blown either
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK, you said 1.8 so I thought it was a gas- this is a 1.9 turbo diesel with the injection pump on the front of the block?

A couple of "common" issues- the shutoff valve, which is where you would expect a throttle body to be on a gas car- this valve closes when you turn off the car, and then the solenoid is released again- and it should open. Sometimes they get sticky, and stay shut. Operate the diaphragm plunger a few times to make sure it is open. If it is closed you will get no air and it will not start.

Since you say you have no glow plug light, however, it could either be that you have a bad coolant temp sensor (which may allow the glow plug light to come on really quickly) or the glow time relay up in the cowl area in front of the driver (under the wipers, lift the edge of the plastic cover)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Gomi. Yes it is a turbo diesel. But the glow plug light doesn't even flicker. I am going to get it into a shop. I am on the road for work so no tools to speak of... Unfortunately. This info is good because than I know what to expect at the garage
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- let me know what you find, hopefully you have a good local diesel person nearby

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me too. Gomi if my engine was blown would I have noticed anything weird happening before I turned my car off.. Because like I said my oil was really low. But my gauges were all good. And the car never really made much noise or anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the diagnostic isn't working because my cars computer is not communicating with the diagnostic equipment... Is that unusual? And what should I do:) because at this point isn't everything a shot in the dark?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the relay 109. Gomi thanks for your help
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Did you get it running? Can it communicate now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fired right up. The tech sodered it together runs like a dream again
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

good to hear. What do you mean "soldered" was a joint broken or did he "fix" the relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he sodered it together and it was fixed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK