Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

My daughter's Beetle can't pass smog because it's computer

Customer Question

My daughter's Beetle can't pass smog because it's computer isn't totally resetting after minor repairs to turn off the "check engine" light were done. The technician says the car is throwing no error codes to the smog testing computer, but neither is it sending a signal that the air pump is operating. He checked and found the air pump IS working for it's brief time when the car starts up cold. All he could suggest is that we drive the car for a week or so until the computer resets. That would be fine, but without passing smog my daughter can't get her tags. Without tags, we can't drive the car legally. So we're in a bind.
My specific question is what does the computer need to reset, more actual driving mileage, more cold starts, or what? If it's cold starts, I can do that in the driveway. If it's mileage, we're pretty much screwed unless we go to the DMV every day for a temporary permit. Please help if you can before I strangle her for buying a VW. Thanks.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

You will have to go through a drive cycle with it to reset all of the monitors.

.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what your definition of a "drive cycle" is. The smog tech who is pretty good, suggested all I could do was drive it and keep coming back for retests as mileage added up. I checked with a VW dealership, and the tech said he thinks because it's the air pump, the number of cold starts was probably more important than additional driving mileage put on. In saying that, however, even he really couldn't tell me for sure.
So, as far as this new "instruction" PDF e-mail is concerned, if it doesn't tell me (with specifics) what I need to do to reboot the computer, then it's just more money wasted for a situation no one has yet given me specifics to solve the problem. I'm willing to spend another five bucks for something that doesn't give general, "maybe try this" suggestions. So if you will, before I purchase this extra "instruction" document, please get back to me and specify what it actually offers of practical value. Without specifics it's more money wasted on this piece of junk vehicle. Thanks.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. it is actually the factory procedure to reset all of the monitors for the OBD2 systems. Let me post a link to it and if it works, please don't forget to rate the answer in a positive way, thanks

.

I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1h19gbeodx0byz/Operating%20conditions.pdf?dl=0

.