gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

PO 705 code on 06 jetta 1.8. Changed trans range selector

Customer Question

PO 705 code on 06 jetta 1.8. Changed trans range selector switch. No luck.
Car runs great, shifts great and shows zero symptoms of trans issues.
I clear the light but it comes back on after a couple of starts and my customer as well as myself are really frustrated. Again, this car operates beautifully
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

have you ohmed out the wiring, and checked it to make sure there is no mouse chewing or other damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiring is in mint condition.
I have not checked wiring with an ohm meter. The Trans shifts so nice I assumed wiring is good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my response
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it is intermittent, but consistent enough that it sets the fault. It may be something as simple as spread contacts in the connector or something. I wonder if you should replace the wire ends to the connector, splice in new ones starting a few inches back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not intermittent. If I clear the light while car is running, shut motor down and restart. Check engine light comes on.
I rechecked plug and wires. Pins and wires look great. Do you know what the voltage pattern should be at the plug ? I could check it with a probe meter.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

it should just be a variable resistance in the range selector switch, which if it is new I would assume is OK.