eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified tech
6149662

Here is my question I have a 1998 beetle and drove through

Customer Question

Here is my question I have a 1998 beetle and drove through water and ruined my engine. My insurance paid for a replacement, unfortunately I went to a crook mechanic he did not put a beetle motor in the car as he was supposed to do. My beetle had a 2.0 AEG motor and he put a 2003 Jetta 2.0 BEV motor. It was all rusty and he returned it with missing interior parts, the lights and turn signal were not even plugged in. The battery was melted (I had to replace) the hood hinge and side mirror was broken and the radio no longer worked. He had the car for many months, when I finally got it back days later it would not start. He picked it up again and had it for more months and then said the ignition switch needed replace so then he charged me $325.00 in addition to the $1200.00. Still did not have the car back and then he said the transmission would not go into overdrive and skip 2nd and something about 3rd. He then wanted to charge me $1300.00 for a transmission. I picked up the car and took it to Amaco transmission and they said my transmission was good and this was a created problem from putting the wrong engine in and not changing the ECU computer and wire hardness. Now the transmission does not work correctly and the car will not start after being driven for 10 minutes and then let sit and half hour later it will start. I am guessing this is all caused by the ECU not matching engine. Amaco said the motor does not know how to communicate with the transmission because of the wrong motor swap. My question is could I buy a 2003 Jetta computer and have it flashed to make the car work or is this bigger waste of money. And what motors were compatible for my 1998 Beetle. Also I am a girl; I am kind of handy with cars but not big jobs. Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

did you report this to your insurance company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean that he put the wrong engine in no. But the initial claim yes.I used a guy that my cousin recommended not a big garage.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

he is obligated to fix it correctly.. I would call the adjuster that handled your claim.. The car is not supposed to be released to you until its correct.. I would call them... What state is this in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im in Pa , believe me he will not fix when i said that the transmission shop said the ecu should be matching the motor he said that was not true and all vw motors can be swapped and was very mean.. my other problem is i got it back in June and it has just sat in my drive way because i can not drive it. I thought about taking him to the magistrate but i am not sure if it has been to long.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

How many miles since you picked it up? Does pa have a dept of consumer fairs or a state dept that handles repair shop complaints?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe 20 miles just to drive to the transmission shop. I am not sure of consumer affairs but I will check. He does not have a regular shop he owns a towing and salvage yard and does vw on he side
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

if he collected a check from your insurance company he must be a licensed repair shop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was given the check by the insurance company and cashed it and paid him. I gave him $600.00 down to start and paid the balance the first time it was picked up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did give me a receipt for the first $1200.00 and I did have the insurance company contact him for having the car so long because he would not finish the job for so long so they do know where it was fixed.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have receipts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the $1200.00
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

I would contact the attorney generals office and im sure there is some sort of consumer affairs dept... But I think you need to find a trusty vw dealer or a vw specialist with a good reputation to properly diagnose what this clown did.. And have everything documented. Sounds like he made a mess of your car

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hate to dump more money in it by going to a dealership. Besides what he charged $1525.00 i had to replace battery $115 and brakes and rotors from sitting so long another $235.00 plus the full coverage insurance for this past year that it still has. I have not even got to drive it. I have had so many people say he did the job wrong but if i was to go to the magistrate he would say what he did was wright and I do not have anything to back up that it was done wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could i just buy an ecu and would that work?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

That's why you may need to take it to a dealer and spend a few hundred on proper diagnosis. So you have written documentation by a VW authority .. You need written proof by a vw professional that looked at your car to build your case. And possibly other effected problems by the water intrusion. The insurance company may be able to open a supplemental claim because the car is not fixed correctly or has additional issues.. You need proof to prove he is in the wrong and likely that will cost you a few hours of diagnosis by a certified vw shop

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

he had to convert some stuff over or it would not rung he likely used the bev bottom end and a aeg upper end, the injectors exhaust and throttle are totally different.. so I think you have a hodge podge of parts used to make it run.. That's why you need to have a professional look t it and decipher what he actually did..

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the typos.. but I really believe it needs to be properly diagnosed and documented.. One motor is drive by wire one is cable operated so a straight swap is not likely so changing the ecu will likely make the car not run

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or have more If there are warning lights illuminated there will be fault codes stored but some generic code readers will not communicate, see if a professuinal scan tool will work at a local independent or at worst your local Lexus ( read expensive) dealer.questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.