gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

2006 vw Passat 140bhp bkp. slow to start, rough idle and no

Customer Question

hi, 2006 vw Passat 140bhp bkp. slow to start, rough idle and no power. replaced turbo, airflow meter, map sensor, fuel filter. disconnected exhaust at turbo and blanked of egr. I have noticed slight wear on exhaust cam lobes that run the injector rockers. any ideas
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

have you pulled the high pressure fuel pump off the end of the head, and seen if the cam follower is worn through? If you have wear on the cam lobes, it is usually due to grit from the wearing of the cam follower of the pump, and you will need to replace the cams. Most likely when you pull the pump you will find the cam damaged there.

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just removed high pressure pump. can you please elaborate about the cam follower been worn through
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The high pressure pump has a shaft- on the end of this is a cap (cam follower), almost like a piston, that fits on top of that shaft, and the end of it runs on a cam lobe. What happens is that over time, some of these followers will start to wear, becoming dished in and worn on the end that runs on the cam lobe. And in extreme cases, it will wear all the way through, leaving just a sleeve without an end, and the end of the pump piston will start riding on the cam lobe itself, destroying the pump and the cam (the follower already having been destroyed through wear)

HERE is a page with pictures of a damaged follower, pump, and cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi the picture you have sent to me is for a petrol engine. the car I am asking you about is a 2006 vw Passat 2.0 turbo diesel 140 bhp with engine code bkp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am still waiting for a reply to the above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any update/reply would be welcome please
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I misread the engine code. How long does it take to start? Does the glow plug light come on for the normal amount of time when key on? Have you scanned it for fault codes?