gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Trying to get vw my radio code can you help

Customer Question

Hello trying to get vw my radio code can you help
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

if you pull the radio out, and get the serial number off the back of it (begins with VWZ...) then they can look it up at the dealership. They may be trying to get you to come in, so they can claim it takes longer than it does, so they can charge you diagnosis and labor.

If you are close enough to a dealer, I would get the serial number and the VIN of your car, and then WALK into the service department and ask if they can get the PIN for you. It takes about 2 minutes on the computer to look it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no other way to get code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original radio display capped out on me so I was trying to use one from a junker. Is there a way to retrieve code with radio serial number?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

it has to be looked up on VW's main server. It doesn't matter if it came out of your car or not, the serial number of the radio is what determines the PIN code- you can enter any VIN with the serial to get the code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks not what I was expecting. The only reason I went this route is because I seen an earlier post . Where some one was able to get the code through you guys. I already called dealer and they say it's vin specific to car.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely not true- the PIn is specific to the radio serial number. You can punch in 5 different VINs and get the same PIn for the same radio. I know, when I had VW online access I used to look up codes in the evening, and I used the VIN from my own personal car for every one of them.

Often the service writers have no idea how the cars are fixed in their shop, they are just "glorified secretaries".