FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

03 beetle First start of the day, almost impossible. One

Customer Question

03 beetle
First start of the day, almost impossible. One quick spray of either it starts immediately. Subsequent starts no issues. Problem started a couple of months ago with long cranking times on first start, times got longer until it just would not start in 70f weather. One short shot of either, immediate fire up. When crank times were getting longer I was getting large cloud of white smoke. I suspect diesel is leaking out of the injectors and comes out unburned over a long shutdown period. Is it possible that I am losing the prime in the injector due to leakage over long shutdown period?
Also on highway I experience short periods of lack of power always accompanies by white smoke. It clears up after a second or so and runs good again. This appears to be a random lack of power. When on the highway and I let off the accelerator, it induces the same problem. Engine sputters, lack of power, white smoke. After reapplying the accelerator it clears and runs well.
I ha
Category: VW
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. It does appear that you have one or more leaking injectors. This is common as this engine gets some miles on it. You can try some fuel conditioner to see if it will clear it up but that is a shot in the dark. You will need an injector replacement. If you have a good scan tool you can do an injector balance test or pull the injectors in the morning and see which cylinder is filled with fuel. I hope this helps. let me know if you need further assistance.