gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 1997 Passat TDI that just died starter cranks but

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Passat TDI that just died starter cranks but will not start no power to shut off Solenoid on injection pump ran 12 v to solenoid will not start I have checked all fuses all good even replaced computer as I have 2 of these vehicles still will not get power to pump. Checked ground wires under battery tested good but cleaned up anyways. I have a service manual on order for schematic is there any thing else to check. All light light up on dash headlights work.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also checked 109 relay headlights work this what I mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also have an extra key switch tried that as well
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Did you check to see if the timing belt broke? Did it die while driving or not restart after shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timing belt is fine there is no 12 volts to injector pump which should occur when turning on the key this is a safety valve which is also the one I run a 12 volt reference signal to and still no fuel pressure to injectors as I cracked the fuel line 2 injectors. I'm assuming that there's no power to the secondary which is controlled by the computer I have no reference to check voltage to that. To narrow the problem down I need to be able to check for voltages to computer or other device that could shut down power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did die while driving after taking of from a stop. It has new timing belt 5k miles ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check it the belt is intact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will pictures help if needed?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on (self check)? If so, then the ECM is powered and online. Do you have any way of reading faults?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Codess
P0121
P0605
P1161
P1256
P1403
P1I62
I have a bad throttle sensor but this is not cause me any problems yet. I cleared all the codes code p1562 keeps returning after clearing code one key is turned on without engine even being cranked over. So I tested the 8 pin connector to injection pump pin 1 & 2 2 & 3 metered 5.6 ohms pin 6 & 7 1 ohm. After resetting computer safety valve now has 12 volts will not start no pressure to injectors. Computer thinks there's a problem with pump I think there's a wiring issue what to check next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The fault that most concerns me is the P0605- this is basically saying that the ECM is faulty. I think a circuit has gone bad, that is why you have the issue plus all the various faults for temp, pressure, EGR, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new ecm I have a ready tried that.
The thermistat is stuck I have new part for that as well but nether issue is causing problem with starting.
So let's back up a second I have cleared all the codes then code 1562 pops up after turning key on without starting motor whereas I have voltage to main shut off and PIN number 5 when the code appears voltage to pump turns off. Best I can tell without a service manual I either have a bad pump or a wire. The best I can tell from the code is it thanks something is out of range in the limiting circuit. I have already changed parts because I have the parts and it was easy to try can you get schematics so we can figure it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Egr is plugged I have Egr delete kit to fix this problem. Pressure problem from hole in tubing inside ecm I have already replaced.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So you have 12v at pin 5 at the pump?

the fault is for the quantity adjuster on the pump- measure the resistance of it, you should have beween .5-2.5 ohms.

Make sure the wiring to this is OK-

It sounds to me like you may have lost your pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1+2 2+3. 5.6 ohm
6+7 ohm .9 is this the quantity adjuster pin out. I checked my other vw and the pump ohms the same within .2 ohms I am having a hard time believing the pump is bad need to check wiring, what are the pinout to check wiring harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12v at pin 5
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Here is the pinout diagram for the injection pump to ECM wiring

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Sorry- that one just shows the start of injection timing connection. Getting the other one

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Actually that diagram has both the fuel shutoff and the start of injection timing. So you just need to check to make sure you have power to the glow plug module, and the wiring to the shutoff is OK- if not, it may be that your start of injection timing sensor is faulty.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

80-100 ohms on the needle lift sensor, cylinder 3.