vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a question about a 2010 vw passat acceleration from a

Customer Question

hi..
i have a question about a 2010 vw passat acceleration from a stop.
The can runs fine overall, but randomly when you are at a full stop at press the accelerator the car does not accelerate. You have to put the car in park, then drive again and it then goes.
This only happens randomly and is not a consistent problem but seems to be a hazard when in traffic.
I noticed online their could be a number of causes from bad sensor to transmission. Any thoughts?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

Was a full module scan performed on the vehicle and were there any faults stored in any of the modules at all?

I know that this may sound stupid but are you a 2 foot driver ?

do the brake lights hang on at times?

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wolfgang,Thanks for following up... a module scan was performed and it showed no faults the last time it was take to the dealer. We did get a check engine light come on briefly about 2 weeks ago and i coded it and got a code p0106, P0172. The engine light did turn itself off though before we coded the car.We are one foot drivers and the brake lights do not hang.Essentially, when you stop at a red light, light turns green, you hit the gas, then engine revs, sounds like you should be moving, but care does not go. You shift in park, then back to drive and car is fine. no engine lights come on, no weird noises, etc..Car runs very well other than this issue, which only occurs randomly when at a stop. We do not have any hard shifting issues, rattling, etc..Please let me know..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks for the extended info. the light turning off does not mean its fixed. I wonder if the trans module had codes also???? need to isolate if its a trans issue or the engine issue . the 2 codes may have an issue but the trans is unknown because do not know if any codes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their were no other codes found when we checked it.. A number of folks mentioned it might be the MAF sensor or simply the transmission giving out. The car has about 130,000 miles on it.It runs perfect 99.99% of the time, so I am doubting it would be a transmission issue...
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

A maf sensor will not cause the vehicle not to move. is there a possibility that I can get the vin # ***** check if there was an recent logs of a scan test if it was scanned at the vw dealer??

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Vin # ***** *****i was reading online that their was an issue a while back with the engine slipping into neutral while the car was at a stop with the vw passat.. It mentioned that vw had an issue with this on 2.0t engines and the temperature sensor was over heating causing the software to release it into neutral when stopped. Is this something that would be common on the passat back a number of years ago? the fix was to adapt the software to ignore the sensor reading.Please let me know..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Let me check on this before commenting on the path of resolving the issue

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay!! There is no such thing adaptation or reprogramming to avoid the sensor reading.

on the p0106 code I need you to check if you have any oil leaks in the engine compartment. please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked to see if there were any leaks and none were present.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

with the lean code and the p0106 need a scan tool vcds to see what is the mixture readings while running. that is the next step . we are at a fork in the road and need to isolate if it is trans or it is engine. do you have vag com?