gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 1998 vw passat and i had a leaking seal around the

Customer Question

I have a 1998 vw passat and i had a leaking seal around the drive output shaft. After replacing the seal i have been unable to get the shaft to go all the way in. Can you give me some guidance on this.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the drive output flange
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does this one have the bolt in the center of it, or is it held in with a ring around the end of the shaft?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has the ring around the end of the shaft.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You're just going to need to smack it good with a non-marking hammer. Use a block of wood in between if necessary. The ring will often get a little stretched and catch on the edge of the lip of the gear it is seating into, you just need to get it to compress to get it all the way in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how hard do you have to hit it. The shaft goes in but stop short of the seal. So are you saying that i have to hit it real hard because i have hit it before. Is it suppose to be this hard to go in. Is there any thing inside that can stop it besides the ring clip on the in.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The shaft is splined- so when you put it in, you should be able to turn it and feel those splines start to engage right at the end of the shaft, and you won't be able to turn it any more- at that point, it is just the ring hanging you up, you know you are engaged in the splined gear, and you just need to smack it. Usually it is coming out that is the hard direction!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it doesn't go in when i really smack it what could be the problem or i just have to keep hitting it until it snap in place. It is about a 1/4 of an inch from going all the way in.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You could try removing the ring, seeing if it slides into place properly, and then reinstalling the ring and seating the shaft. If it has been dropped at all it may have a burr that is causing it to drag. If you're able to get it all the way in with a block of wood on the end of it when you are hitting it you should be OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the clip on the end and the 2 bearings and tried to insert the shaft and it still would not go all the way in. What else could be the problem. Looking up inside the differential everything looks good.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

you can see inside and see the splined part that the shaft should slide into, correct? And there are no burrs on the shaft or on that part? Does it feel like it stops due to friction and binding, or like it suddenly hits a wall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it feel like it comes to a sudden stop like hitting a wall.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

even without the ring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without the ring or the bearings
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

and you only did the shaft seal on this one side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anymore suggestion on this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still working with me on my flange problem
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

sorry, was getting late last night.

I can't think of any other reason why it would not go in, unless you received the wrong seal or something (I have seen instances of the wrong seal being installed on these units)

Could you send me a picture of your output shaft, and if possible, get a picture of the transmission/transaxle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to send a picture of the shaft and transaxle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope you got the photos
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

when you insert the shaft, do you feel the splines engage so you know you are going into the carrier? Are there any marks on that spider gear shaft inside the transaxle from the axle hitting it? Have you tried measuring the length of the shaft, and the depth to the backside of the splined portion of the carrier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the depth to the back side is 4 in. and the shaft is 3 1/4 in.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that the area directly on the backside of the flanged part, is hitting slightly on the lip of the smooth bore inside? Like if you tried wiggling it around to see if it will slip past that? Look on the lip of both of those parts and see if there is evidence that they are butting against each other when you were smacking the shaft in.